Monday, February 27, 2012

The Truth About Nuggets

I recently learned something that bothered me and made me feel gross. If you eat processed food, especially chicken nuggets, you should know this.






What you see above is chicken. No, really. It's called "mechanically separated" chicken!!!!!  (Sorry chickens...) To make this, they mash all the pieces of the chicken, and by that I mean literally every part of the body -  bones, skin, you name it, it's in there. It's all the parts we don't want to eat on their own. (The pink color is because of all the blood and other parts ground up in there.) Then they separate the hard parts of the goo from the soft parts of goo. Next they take the paste and make it taste good with chemicals and dye it to make it look like chicken again.  Finally, they roll it out and make it into shapes like nuggets, dinosaurs, stars, tenders...all the stuff kids love to eat.

Like I said, learning about this bothered me a lot. I do eat nuggets sometimes. And I like them! But I won't be eating them anymore - it's bad for me, I worry that the chickens used for this had a bad life, and it's all the parts I wouldn't eat alone. But I worry that not all kids agree with me. Here is a link to a clip of TV chef Jamie Oliver showing a bunch of kids how nuggets are made. I was pretty shocked at their response!



                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment